Frequently Asked Questions


Is my study considered research?
If you are not sure if you are doing a research project, please complete the decision tool - - to help you decide whether or not your study is research as defined by the UK Policy Framework for Health and Social Care Research.
If there is more than one person from the same organisational likely to be involved in the application submission process, should they use one common login and password, or should they each have a separate log-in and password?
This is an organisational decision. However, applications can be transferred to others for completion of different parts of an application or to permit review and collaboration.

Educational Research

I am completing my Masters, do I need to complete this application?
If your research involves DHSC patients, staff, facilities, data or resources then you need to complete this application. Ask your supervisor for help completing this form. Otherwise, you do not need to complete this form. Contact your supervisor for guidance about how to obtain university ethical approval.
I am completing my PhD, do I need to complete this application?
If you are researching a health and social care topic on the Isle of Man, you will need to complete this application form to obtain the necessary approvals. .


How do I create a site log-in?
On the log-in page, click the 'New User' green button. You can then enter your details. Your chosen email address and password will be your log-in details. Once registered, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
If I am DHSC staff, should I use my work email to create my account?
If you are undertaking research as part of your role, then yes, if not then you should use another email address.
How do I change my password or associated email account?
Once logged on, click your name, found at the top right of the application screen. Select the appropriate drop down options: 'change password' or 'personal details' to update your email address or contact details, respectively.